We have offered to post brief statements from all of the ANC candidates running for seats on Capitol Hill and the surrounding neighborhoods that we cover here on The Hill is Home. These statements are not endorsements and have been posted exactly as submitted by the candidates.
About myself: I have served as Commissioner for ANC 6A02 for the last 3 years and served as a citizen volunteer for the ANC for proceeding seven years. I have also served as the Chairman for ANC 6A’s Economic Development and Zoning Committee for the past 6 years.
Our neighborhood continues to change rapidly – two years ago H Street was torn up and many businesses were struggling to stay afloat. Today, we have many newly opened businesses on H Street and many fewer vacant buildings, and more businesses are coming. The ANC can help shape this tremendous growth and minimize the negative impacts on nearby residential areas.
If I am re-elected, I will work to address the following issues:
- Increase available parking for residents by a) helping residents restrict parking on affected residential streets to resident-only parking; b) working with the police and H Street bars and restaurants to ensure that valets do not use neighborhood streets for parking; and c) working with parking enforcement to ensure that parking restrictions are enforced on neighborhood streets.
- Address late night noise emanating from certain H street businesses that disturb surrounding residences. The vast majority of bar and restaurant owners have been very responsive to resident complaints about late night noise, but unfortunately not all of them are. When repeated noise disturbances are brought to the attention of the business owner and ignored, I will work with the residents to have ABRA investigate these incidents and have the business owner fined.
- Continue to advocate for appropriate development on H Street. For example, the ED&Z committee worked extensively with the developer of 1113-1117 H St NE property to insure that it would complement other buildings on H Street. I am hopeful that the Autozone site can be redeveloped in the next 2-4 years, and will work with the developers to insure that a redeveloped site will contribute to a vibrant and pedestrian friendly community.
- Encourage more community involvement in addressing crime issues by encouraging all 6A02 residents to attend PSA 104 meetings and to join the MPD-1D listserve.
- Work on getting more Capital Bikeshare stations. The new station at 11th and H is already oversubscribed. I have been working with DDOT to get a new bikshare station at 12th and H.
- Increase community involvement in the Sherwood Recreation Center. The Sherwood Recreation Center is a valuable resource that is currently underutilized by residents of 6A02.
- Increase the number of citizen volunteers in ANC 6A. I started out as a citizen volunteer and much of our ANC’s effectiveness is due to the dedication and expertise of its citizen volunteers. If you want to get involved, please let me know.
Drew Ronneberg, ANC Commissioner 6A02